Saturday, December 20, 2008

Meditation Bell

Living alone during holidays can be stressful. One way to cheer up is to find something that brings you joy. Years ago I began this practice and continue it today. What you choose does not have to be expensive. It can be a pine cone, a pebble or some fresh flowers. The important thing is that it lightens your mood.

My "special find" arrived yesterday from the Smithsonian.

Meditation is an important component in my creative process, as it helps me maintain emotional balance. Often I listen to sessions from a Buddhist retreat. The facilitator suggests sitting in a quiet, relaxing place and listening intently to the sound of a gong, or bell. Focus. Stay with the sound as the resonance trails off. The result is peace in the moment. The past is gone, the future is a mystery...all we have is the now...the Present--a time of giving and receiving.

Today, refreshed, I open the holiday box of ornaments and family treasures. A snow globe, the small Christmas tree, Mr. and Mrs. Claus purchased during my parent's first year of marriage (when they had no money), a musical wooden horse barn and my antique decoy ducks (wearing red velvet bows) perk up the decor.

Soon Bob and I will bake cookies. Several tins and a large glass apothecary jar are washed and waiting for sugary treats.

Happy Holidays!

2 comments:

Eaglesbrother said...

Wonderful photograph !!
It has a warm glo to it..very relaxing.

Bob

Light and Voices said...

Bring on the cookies. Listen to the bell. Be the artist you are. Merry Christmas!
Joyce