Monday, March 9, 2009

Plan for the Worst; Hope for the Best

Writing helps me sort through mental chatter. When faced with choices, writing down the pros and cons is a good idea. Think long term. This is when "what ifs" are beneficial. If I do this, what could happen? What if I do that instead? What are the possible consequences? What if I do nothing?

Before taking any action, remember: "For every action, there is a reaction."* Knowing this, often I will wait and let things work out on their own. My actions and choices can make a situation worse. So...often I will wait and see...wait and see what happens.

"We'll see...," I'll say. Then, I step back, wait and watch for the situation to play itself out.

And Remember while waiting to "Plan for the worst and hope for the best."** Or in every day language..."Cover your arse."


*"For every action, there is a reaction;" is a law of physics.
**"Plan for the worst and hope for the best" --Author Unknown


AFTER THOUGHT: When a change is desired, then go for it with gusto. Follow your dream. Believe in yourself.

2 comments:

Rebecca Anne said...

I appreciate, cover your arse. I like to write out lists of pros and cons myself. It helps me get a grip on whats real and whats over amped thought process.

cw2smom said...

Great post! I am now...at age 55...learning that when I "react" instead of thinking over things before I speak my mind, things are MUCH worse!! It's tough to learn this late in life that I really don't have to give my opinion on everything. How much easier would life have been if I knew and practiced that in my daily life...long ago? Wait and see is a great approach, as is looking at the pros and cons. I recently resolved a problem with someone I love dearly when I realized that I reacted inappropriately to something he said...and had I just let it go and not taken it personal, it wouldn't have got to the point where I was ending our relationship. I learn all the time...Thanks be to
God! Lisa