Tuesday, November 25, 2008

When Will You Be A/An __________?


When will you call yourself an artist, writer, photographer, performer, musician, whatever? When will you claim your title? And...what does it take for you to call yourself an artist, or photographer or ????? When will you be that? How about now? You must believe in yourself. You become what you believe you are.


Then:


Study and learn all you can about your craft. Listen to what the critics say...they may have a point and you can learn from their criticism. Listen to what folks who like your work say...you can learn from them too. (One of my favorite things to do at an exhibit is to eavesdrop on folks viewing my work.) After having said that: follow your heart, your Muse and your path. Never do anything artistic to please someone else. Always work to please yourself. Then, you will be on the right track even if your path is different from what has been done before.


Do what you want to be doing. Do it regularly.


Join a group, or groups. Be with people of like mind, i.e. art organizations, camera clubs, etc.


Enter exhibitions and competitions. Sell your creations.


Be happy...you are doing what you want to be doing. How many people can say that?


* * * * * * * *


I never felt like an artist until I entered a competition in Albany, New York, back in the 1970s, and walked away with third prize. It wasn't first prize, true, but it was something. After painting and painting and painting, recognition. This happened thirty years ago and I remember that epiphany moment like it happened yesterday. I got the news and the next morning woke up saying..."Holy cow, I AM an artist!"


Most important: You must believe in yourself and your talent.


The greatest downfall I hear is what folks say about themselves. They do excellent work, but don't believe in themselves and their creations. Their words and actions show their disbelief. If your work is good, then accept that fact and price it accordingly. What does it say to the world if your work is selling framed for $5.? How much do you value your work? Be realistic and don't EVER put yourself down. (If you say bad things about yourself, or your work, people will believe you.) Your ideas, your time, your energy and the years of study invested in creating anything significant is worth more than five dollars, isn't it?


Something to think about:

When someone gets something for nothing, they don't appreciate it. So let folks pay for your creations. Don't give your work away.


Today's Reminder: Be Good, Do Good, then Strive to Be Better!

Remember: BE THANKFUL FOR EVERYTHING! Being grateful increases awareness.
Winter is approaching...Are you interested in creating a photography journal? Learning how to take better pictures? Having some creative fun, fun, fun? If so, email me. I am thinking about starting an online workshop...So...let me know. My email address is on my profile.

4 comments:

Eaglesbrother said...

I like your post today..straight and to the point.
I agree.
By the Way..love the photograph too.

Bob

Judith HeartSong said...

love the image... love the post. I have been a professional artist since high school, when I started selling my work... and I never looked back. If we do not believe in ourselves, no one else will.

Sage Ravenwood said...

Inspiring entry! I keep hearing people tell me to write, it's a hobby, it's my life on pages. When does it become more...it already has in the eyes of those who read me. (Hugs)Indigo

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.